Welcome to Eddy! This article will walk you through the first steps you'll take to get the most value out of Eddy. But this is just a summary, so be sure to check out the rest of the Eddy Help Center to get more details or answer specific questions. If you're new to Eddy, check out our What is Eddy? article.
How will you use Eddy?
Eddy solves a huge variety of HR business challenges. From hiring to termination. Step one is deciding what information your organization will store in Eddy. We recommend putting ALL your hiring and employee information in Eddy—that's what Eddy is designed to do best and that's where you get the most benefit.
Setting Up Employees
It's easy to add your employees—in part because each employee can add most of their own information. Adding everyone to Eddy helps you and your organization get more done. 💪 Learn how to add team members.
Each person added can have different roles and permissions in Eddy. The basic user role options within Eddy are Owner, HR Admin, Hiring Admin, Employee. Learn how to setup user roles and permissions.
Import Employee Information
Many smaller companies (up to ~20 employees) choose to add employees by hand. If you have a larger organization, or if your employee information is already in a spreadsheet, we can help you quickly import all your employee info to save time. Ask your Eddy account rep for details.
Add Company Documents
You can upload and store company documents in Eddy. These documents are usually those that you would like to share with employees on your Eddy home page, as well as other documents that require a signature (e.g, an employee handbook or a background check). Company documents can be shared with employees (for download), or can be sent to an employee as part of a signature request.
Visit our Documents Overview help article for more details.
Also: Read up on how to create custom signature templates for your unique documents.
Import Employee Documents
For each employee you'll have a collection of signed documents—perhaps in a filing cabinet, or perhaps scanned onto someone's computer. Eddy is a safe, secure place to store sensitive employee documents. Common documents you might store in Eddy for each employee include signed copies of:
- Form I-9
- Signed Employee handbook
- Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Non-Compete Agreement
- Trainings, licenses, or certifications
- Employee Agreement
Post your first job
The great first step to get started with Eddy is to post a job. If this is the first job posted, you'll see a "Post a job" button on your hiring page. The basic steps of creating a job posting are adding job details, writing a job description, and choosing any application requirements. For more details, check out our article that gives an in-depth overview of how to post a new job.
Create your Career Page
You career page is often how you'll make your first impression on a candidate—it's worth it to make the page look good and have great content.
If you already have a career page on your website, you can embed all your published jobs on that page using our embed code widget.
If you don't already have a career page, Eddy makes it easy to create a professional-looking career page. To learn how to make your career page be beautiful, check out our help article How to create your career page.
Set up custom hiring tools
Eddy includes powerful features that save time by automating common message tasks, and extend your capabilities through individual customizations:
- Custom Email templates—You can create customized email templates. Clear and timely candidate communication is pretty important. It makes a difference in how your business is seen in what is often a first and lasting impression. Eddy makes candidate communication simple out-of-the-metaphorical-box (as it were) by providing automated messages to candidates when they apply for a job or are rejected for a job.
- Define a Job's Stage Actions—You can add more messages using stage actions. Stage Actions are designed to save you time by triggering automated messages to candidates and teammates. A stage action automates some of the repetitive work that you do when a candidate is advanced to a new job stage—like sending a "thanks for your application" email to a candidate, or a "time to schedule an interview" request to an admin.
- Customize Job Stages—We understand that everyone’s hiring process is different, so we make it easy to customize each job's pipeline stages. You can add a new job stage, change the order of job stages, edit a stage name, or even delete a stage.
Create a Paid Time Off plan
PTO could be your employees’ favorite policy, but it’s a pain to administer if you’re stuck with paper, spreadsheets, and email. No worries! Eddy’s excellent PTO feature makes it incredibly easy to manage your employees’ extra Saturdays. Eddy lets you create custom policies that accrue how and when you want. Eddy also allows you to create stipulations to every policy, such as setting a max balance, designating an approver, and more.
Learn more about PTO:
- Create a Paid Time Off policy
- Approving or Denying a Time-Off Request
- The Employee Balance Report
- PTO Help Center